Thursday, April 27, 2006

Our sweet little contrarian

According to dictionary.com a contrarian is "one who takes a contrary view or action, especially an investor who makes decisions that contradict prevailing wisdom, as in buying securities that are unpopular at the time." This pretty much sums up Lucas in his current phase, except the part about buying securities.

These days, Lucas is very adamant that he is right. Whether we're playing with his letter magnets or naming different objects, the boy is always right.

Lucas has the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics, which is a nifty little toy. It keeps him pretty entertained, while I'm making dinner. All the letters fit into this little gadget that not only names the letter, but gives its letter sounds, and will also sings the ABC song. Sometimes the letter sounds sound similar, like the sounds for P and B. So he put the P in and said, "See mommy, this is B". I said, "Put the letter in and listen again." After we went back and forth on this a couple of times, and he put it in the gadget to confirm that it was the P, it said "B". He said to the toy, "NO...IT'S...NOT!". I guess these toys can only be deemed educational if the user actually listens and believes them. But really, why would the toys lie?

Then this evening we were eating strawberries after dinner. He put the strawberry top, with the leaves, in his mouth, then promptly spit it out. I said, "You shouldn't eat the leaves." His reply, "They're not leaves, they're salad." I said, "No, salad is made of leaves you can eat." He looked at me and seemed to shake his head and said, "Silly mommy."

Lucas' tshirt says, "Trust me, I'm a doctor". I thought it was funny at the time of purchase, but I think he's taken it a little far, don't you?

No comments: