Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Adventures in our own backyard, Part 1: Saturday at the library

This was more of an adventure for me than Lucas. Lucas goes to the library with his class a couple times a month. I, on the other hand, have a bit of a phobia about libraries.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a library, I just don't like bringing home books from the library. I used to go all the time when I was little and I have fond memories of the library. I think this started to turn for me as an adult.

College: In the large library on campus, there was a section known as The Stacks. I'm not sure what was kept in the stacks as I kept a safe distance from that area. Rumor had it that people would perform illicit acts, leaving bodily fluids in their wake.

San Francisco: A few times when I lived in SF, I would hit the local libraries. However, I was totally turned off by the number and stench of homeless people who would basically camp out in the upholstered chairs while the library was open.

Until last weekend, we have borrowed a total of ONE book from the library for Lucas, which was just in the last six months. But only after I did a thorough inspection of the book. I've never had anything out of the ordinary happen to me with a library book, but my friend Lindsey sent me this little snippet of someone else's not-so-nice library experience, which totally confirmed my worst fears about library books. And if you read the comments, it gets a lot more gross than just a stinky book (blood, pubic hair, fecal matter and an uncooked piece of bacon).

Speaking of bacon, we had a nice lunch in front of the library. Lucas was so excited to go and get his first library card. After much deliberation, he found five books he wanted to check out. Prior to checkout, I started inspecting the books. Lucas asked, "What are you doing?"

Me: Um, I like to check the books before I take them home to see if someone left something behind so we can give it to the librarian.
Lucas: What kinds of things? Like a bookmark?
Me: Yeah, something like that.

Then, Lucas started looking in the books, seeing if he could find any 'bookmarks'.

No comments: