Saturday, October 27, 2007

Another hot chocolate update, if anyone cares...

My last cocoa update left things a bit up in the air, for those of you who care. Since then, I've tried out new places and revisited some old ones.

1. Sketch - Contrary to what their sign said, they didn't re-open on 10/21, or any time that week. I ran into Eric, one of the owners on 4th Street, he said it was taking longer than expected, but most likely tomorrow. I'll call before I go over there.

2. Semifreddis
I've gone there more recently since Sketch has been closed for remodeling. It's been as good as usual, but I was pretty spoiled with Sketch. However, today, I pulled up across the street and wrote some text messages. Then when I walked in and asked for my hot cocoa, she said, "I already made it for you. I saw you pull up." Such a nice surprise! And the cocoa was perfect and still hot.

3. Ciao Bella's Bella Gelato
On Saturday after Lucas' soccer game, we went to the Epicurious Garden for some sushi. Then we made a stop at Ciao Bella Gelato. I had tried their Bella Cocoa before, and it's very intense, not rich, but really dark, a bit too intense for me. However, this time I tried a Bella Gelato, a hot cocoa with a scoop of mocha chip -- it was sublime. But it's kind of cheating, since it's not really a true hot cocoa, I mean you can put gelato in any of the contenders, and it would improve it tenfold, but it sure was good so definitely worth a mention.

4. The Pub
Haven't had there hot chocolate in quite a while, but I went the other night for a deadly game of Scrabble. I love that place, if it weren't for the lingering smell of cigars. But I have fond memories of their hot chocolate. I'll need to make another trip for Scrabble and cocoa.

5. The Cheeseboard
I visited the Cheeseboard in North Berkeley for the first time in quite a while. I went there with a friend who loves their lattes. I figured if they have a stellar latte, I should at least give their hot chocolate a try.

The first was amazing. The guy put in extra chocolate for me and it was perfect. They use a brand called Schokinag, which coincidentally, they also use at my favorite cupcake place, Love at First Bite.

However, since then, I've been there twice and it has not been as good. Maybe they switched chocolates? I was going to ask the last time, but I didn't want to be seen as some kind of psychotic hot chocolate freak. But to be fair, I should go back and ask. Or maybe I just wait around for the white-haired guy to make my cocoa.

Guerilla fell out of the top five, though I love their breakfast and lunch. I went back for their regular hot chocolate, but it lacked the intensity and chocolate-ness that I look for in a hot chocolate. And I appreciate that they use Dagoba chocolate, but at $3.50 a pop, I don't even get a homemade marshmallow.

1 comment:

RookieMom Whitney said...

Take me with you to Bella. I want to try that! Name your time.