Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween and the great candy experiment

Earlier this month, Lucas had a check-up with Dr. Bob, the awesome pediatric dentist.

Dr. Bob had a flyer about how to dispense candy for Halloween. Basically, you let them eat as much as they want, whenever they want, for three days, beginning the night of Halloween. Then you throw the rest away (or the parents eat it, whatever).

The reasoning: If you let kids have a piece of candy every day over a longer period of time, the bacteria will accumulate and there's much higher chance that they'll get cavities. Over three days, the sugar doesn't have time to get build up and wreak havoc on teeth. Plus, letting kids self-regulate removes the taboo off of candy. They may get sick of it (or get sick) and just not want to eat anymore.

So earlier this week I told Lucas about this plan. He seemed super excited. We'll see what happens between now and Friday. Should be interesting.(Kevin went out there trick-or-treating with Lucas, while I sat at home handing out Bit O Honey, Almond Joy, and Tootsie Rolls. Yes, these are at the bottom of the list in terms of desirable candy, but I only buy stuff that I won't eat. The little kids didn't seem to mind, but I heard some snarky comments from the bigger kids: "Ewww, Almond Joy!", "What is that?". I know I had those same types of things when I was younger, I just didn't say them within earshot of the lame grownup who was handing them out.)

No comments: