Thursday, February 07, 2008

Superbowl Sunday!

Lucas and Kevin eagerly awaited Superbowl Sunday, but not for the obvious reasons, since none of us are football fans.

We went to a Superbowl party at Bill's house. Bill is not a football fan either. In fact, I don't think anyone at the party was a football fan, or even knew the littlest bit about football, based on snippets of conversations I overheard:

"It's kind of fun to root for a team I chose arbitrarily five minutes ago."
"I didn't realize until today who was playing."
"I know nothing about football. I didn't even know until just a few days ago that the Washington Redskins are from THAT Washington." (I actually forgot what she said, whether they're from DC or the state, and I still don't know.)

The true purpose of the party was to watch the Wall-E commercial, which Bill and some other guests (who all work at Pixar) created specifically for the Superbowl.

But back to Kevin and Lucas. They had another motive altogether for going to this party.

We walked into the party and I reminded Bill of our true purpose. He knelt down and asked Lucas, "Do you like Star Wars?" Lucas nodded emphatically. Bill led us all upstairs.

We walked into this room and Lucas' jaw dropped. He wasn't sure what he was looking at, but he knew it was something "super kewel", as he would say.

You see, Bill has an impressive collection of Star Wars, Star Trek and comic book action figures, models and, well, toys. He picked up a few Star Wars figures and would ask Lucas who they were. Lucas identified Darth Vader. Then Bill asked Lucas, "Do you know who Luke Skywalker is?" Lucas replied, "I know about him, but I've never seen him before." So Bill brought down Luke, Darth Maul, various stormtroopers and a host of other Star Wars characters who I didn't know.Then Kevin began asking Bill questions like, "Is this an X Wing Fighter...?" and "Is that sword _______ from Lord of the Rings?" Yes, yes and yes.Bill was nice enough to let Lucas play with a bunch of the toys. After a while, Bill led us down to his workshop where he showed us some super-impressive models he's working on from Star Wars and Star Trek. The detail on these models was amazing - using stencils to paint intricate patterns on these. Then Kevin started asking technical questions, "Do you use such-and-such type of plastic/epoxy/whatever?", which led to further discussions, which were beyond my comprehension.

We stayed for a couple hours. Lucas found another young Jedi who wanted to fight with Bill's light sabers. Kevin lingered around the food table, and I had some nice conversations with other non-football fans.

Suffice it to say, we had a blast at Lucas' first Superbowl Party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog