Sunday, July 08, 2007

Fairyland...FINALLY!

Until I was five years old we lived in Oakland, pretty close to Lake Merritt. One of my favorite places to go was Fairyland.Even after we moved to Moraga we would beg our parents to take us to Fairyland and Merritt Restaurant and Bakery (think Denny's but with a bakery and take out counter for fried chicken).
I'm not sure why it took me so long to take Lucas to Fairyland, but today, we ventured out there with Eowyn and Samuel.

It was so nice to see that many of the things from when I was a kid were still there. They may have been shined up a little over the years, but things were pretty much the same.

Like Willie the Whale. You walk carefully down into his mouth to see some real fish in his "belly".The ferris wheel was still there, Alice in Wonderland tunnel and maze and the merry-go-round.
There were also some new additions, like the miniature Wild West area. We spent a lot of time there.

Something else to note. Unlike other destinations, kid or otherwise, they didn't jack up the prices on the food. I indulged in a corn dog for just $2.75 - a bargain in this day and age. I don't think anything was over $5.

After we came home, Lucas kept saying, "I LOVE Fairyland." I asked Lucas what his favorite part was. He said, "Being there with Samuel."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grandma took me to Fairy Land countless times in the early 1970s, those were happy outings.

Just last weekend I finally returned with Kristen and her kid and it was just as I'd remembered it, only everything was shorter.

It was so inexpensive and innocent. Highly recommended!