Friday, August 10, 2007

What the f***???

So if you are one of those who feel that parents shouldn't judge other parents, then stop reading now.

Let me say up front that there are things we (Kevin and I) do that other parents would judge us for. But I saw/read two things today that made me think, "What the f***?"

I was in SF today, walking through a store and I saw a little girl sitting in a stroller, probably about 2 year old. She was clutching and eating from a bag of Cheetos and drinking from one of those individual bottles of Sprite. And we wonder why childhood obesity is such a problem in this country.

Then tonight I read this article about how educational DVDs for babies are doing more harm than good for the younger set. This doesn't surprise me, but what I found truly frightening were the statistics within the article:

- by three months, 40% of babies are regular viewers of DVDs, videos or television
- by the time they are two years old, almost 90% are spending two to three hours EACH DAY in front of a screen

I know we are on one end of the spectrum on the TV front. When Lucas was a baby and we had a TV, someone gave me a Baby Einstein DVD. I stuck it in a drawer and never took it out. People said, "What's the big deal, it's educational." But I knew Lucas was getting more out of playing with some empty bowls then watching colors and hand puppets while listening to classical music on a DVD.

That's not to say he doesn't watch something once in a while, like when he's sick or I'm sick, or I'm just super tired. He's seen the Curious George movie, Cars, and the Letter Factory several times each, seen several YouTube video sensations (did you see the frog who got swallowed by the Venus fly trap?) and assorted other shows at other people's homes. I especially don't like what he sees at other people's houses, but that's the way it is. But honestly, 2-3 HOURS A DAY???

Next time he watches something on DVD, I'll load him up with a bag of chips and some soda and he' ll be in sync with the rest of his peers.

Scary.

No comments: