Thursday, March 27, 2008

Memories that stick

Lucas and I were talking about Fairyland the other day. He said wistfully, "I went there once with uncle Rocky. We sat on the play structure outside of Fairyland. We had a lot of fun. We each ate a bag of popcorn. That was a really fun day."

That trip to Fairyland happened over the summer. I hope when Lucas is an adult and thinks back to his younger days, he'll remember things like that. And not things like:
  • Last night when I heard Lucas screaming all the way from the house, as he and Kevin walked back after he (Lucas, not Kevin) refused to share or take turns while shooting baskets.
  • Even later last night when he woke up in the middle of the night and was sent to sleep in the downstairs bedroom because he wouldn't stop screaming.
  • This morning, shedding big tears while he ate his oatmeal. (Before you feel too sorry for him, let me explain the backstory. I served up oatmeal and raisins for breakfast. Only after I asked if he wanted raisins, and he replied that he wanted them in a separate bowl. Then when he saw the raisins in a separate bowl, he vehemently denied that he wanted raisins in the first place! He threw a hissy fit and was then sent to his room for a time-out. All that being said, there's nothing sadder than watching Lucas' big tears roll off his face into his oatmeal.)
I don't have many memories from before I was five. One thing I do remember is when my sister asked me to help her put her belt through the belt loops. I couldn't do it so she dragged me over to the bedroom door and put my finger by the hinges and slammed the door on it.

Like I said, I hope he hangs on to the more positive memories.

No comments: