Monday, May 05, 2008

The secret life of boys

On Sunday Lucas and Kevin headed out on a big all-day outing to the Maker Faire in San Mateo. I urged Kevin to bring the camera so I could see some of the cool things there, but he didn't want to tote it around. I dropped them off at 9:15 at the BART station where they could meet up with his friend Jeff and his two sons.

I didn't plan my day out in advance so I had lots of time on my hands. I'm sure this was good for me because I usually have every minute scheduled. I filled up the morning with a long walk into the Berkeley hills with Lindsey and some window-shopping. Then I got sucked into a television show, Brothers and Sisters, which I could watch on abc.com, courtesy of Red Lobster, Bertoli, Jack in the Box, and other sponsors.

About four hours later, I got busy cleaning, organizing, and grocery shopping. But truth be told, I missed Lucas and Kevin.

I picked them up from BART at 7:30. Eager to hear about their day, I asked a lot of questions, but didn't get much in the way of answers from these two:
  • It was really cool. Lots of exploding stuff which Lucas wasn't really into.
  • We ate pizza, ice cream and popcorn.
  • I saw R2D2.
  • There was a whole room filled with LEGO stuff.
  • We saw lots of robots.
  • I saw some of the geekiest people ever.
  • We saw cupcake cars.
After Lucas went to sleep, I asked Kevin more about it. He said Lucas was really into this fire truck.

Me: What type of fire truck?
Kevin: I don't know, it said "Maker Faire" on it.
Me: What else? Was there something different about it?
Kevin: I don't remember. It was big and red.

That's it? They spend 10 hours away from home and that's all I get? So much for filling in the details. I guess I'll have to go next year to see what it was all about.

No comments: