Sunday, April 16, 2006

Last week of freedom (or, "How I spent my last week before becoming a cube monkey")

Tomorrow I start a full-time job at Kodak Gallery (aka Ofoto). This will be the first time I've had a full-time job in about two years.

So, how did I spend my last week of freedom? Climbing mountains, bungee jumping, and river rafting? Those would be the obvious things to do, I tried to be different. How about cleaning, moving in, and more cleaning?

Aside from the cleaning and moving stuff in and junk out, I managed to have some fun.

Lucas and I spent some time with Julian while his dad was on a conference call. Surprisingly, Lucas put away his alpha male tendencies and was very cordial to Julian. He even tried engaging in a conversation with Julian. "Julian, I have that same train at my school." Julian looked at Lucas and that was about the extent of their discussion.

We made a trip to the Berkeley library via BART with some friends: Celeste and Will and Eowyn and Samuel. Of course, no books were even touched. Lucas was more interested in the super-sized hot dog car and made sure it was filled up with gas. Wrangling three almost-3 year olds in downtown Berkeley was a great way to spend one of our rare sunny days in the Bay Area.

On Saturday we went to an Easter egg decorating party at Owen's house. Being typical Berkeley folks, we brought brown eggs, which we then realized don't take too well to the PAAS dye. I think Lucas is really sensitive to sugar because he was pretty much up from 3-6am, and if he's up, so am I.

This morning, in honor of the resurrection of Christ, we had a minimalist Easter egg hunt for Lucas (and I mean small, like two chocolate eggs total). Then I went to the Claremont for an Easter massage, enjoyed the whirlpool, and fell asleep in the sauna. I never would have thought that it would be so easy to fall asleep naked in the company of a bunch of naked strangers, but it was no problem for me. I then proceeded to College Avenue to pick up some new clothes for my first day on the job.

Now off to a nice Easter dinner at my mom's house and hopefully a good night's sleep for my first full day of work. Hopefully Lucas will cooperate with that plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job, Sunny! What are you going to be doing there?