Wednesday, April 18, 2007

After-school lessons

Anatomy
Lucas: Mom, what is the name of the apple that’s in my body? You know, right here? (pointing to his throat)
Me: Your Adam’s apple.

Comparative Art and Literature
Lucas: Mom, you know the person who wrote “There’s a Wocket In My Pocket”, what’s his name again?
Me: Dr. Seuss.
Lucas: Did he write “If I Ran the Zoo”?
Me: Yes, he did. Why do you think it’s the same person?
Lucas: Because the pictures look the same.
Me: He wrote those stories and drew the pictures. He also wrote “The Cat in the Hat”, “Horton Hears a Who”, and a bunch of the other books we read.
Lucas: Oh yeah, he writes all those funny books. I love those books.
Me: Me too.

Geography
Lucas: For my birthday, I’m going to get presents for my friends from South America.
Me: That’s nice of you to want to get stuff for your friends. South America is pretty far away. How about somewhere closer?
Lucas: How far is South America? Is it farther than Berkeley?
Me: No, Berkeley is right next to where we live. We go there all the time.
Lucas: Okay that’s fine. I guess we’ll just go to Berkeley.

No comments: