Sunday, September 23, 2007

A bad man with a gun

Last night Kevin and I went to see "3:10 to Yuma". The movie is really good, in fact, it was my second time seeing the movie. Russell Crowe plays an outlaw in the wild west, holding up stagecoaches and, well basically, being a bad man.

In the movie, Ben Wade (Russell Crowe's character) comes across as charming, complex, and yes, likeable. I wanted him to escape and be free.

I don't like guns and won't let Kevin keep any in the house. And of course, I believe that theft and murder are just plain wrong.

But what is it about characters like Ben Wade, and the anti-heroes of my other favorites movies and shows that makes them appealing? The Corleone boys (except for Fredo) from the Godfather movies, Tony Montana from Scarface, Henry Hill and Jimmy Conway from Goodfellas, Tony Soprano from the Sopranos ... and the list goes on.

Am I living out some inner mobster fantasy? Or is there just something about a bad man with a gun?

No comments: