Thursday, April 10, 2008

And just when we were getting along...

Dear Lucas,
The last couple weeks have been challenging between us. Lots of attitude that frankly, I didn't think I'd get until you're into your teens.

But thankfully, this week has been so smooth. I've actually been very sick, so I think I won tons of pity points with my hoarse voice and unusually lazy self. You have been super helpful around the house, always showing me that you can fold the napkins, set the table, pass out the plates, etc.

This morning to expedite the morning routine, we even made a special trip to Semifreddis for some breakfast (though I had a substandard hot chocolate, but that's for a later post). Things were going great, at least I thought so until tonight.

You were changing into your pjs in the living room, where we still don't have curtains up. I saw you look out the window, so I asked what you were looking at.

"Mommy, I looked at the window and I saw your reflection, but for a minute you looked just like Jar Jar Binks."

WTF??? I realize by the end of the day, I'm probably not looking my best, but Jar Jar Binks???

Feeling paranoid, I did a photo comparison:

Jar Jar - A Gungan, 6 feet and 5 inches tall, with long ears and eyes mounted on stalks.

Me - Korean woman, 5 feet and 5 inches tall, with relatively normal ears and eyes
(though admittedly, I do have a big head)

Well, I guess there are similarities. I have long hair, he has long ears, which could be mistaken for hair, especially if you are a Star Wars obsessed 4 year old, looking at someone's reflection in a mirror from 10 feet away. Jar Jar's eyes are bulgy, but I guess mine might be kind of puffy since I've been sick.

"Hmmm... yousa point is well seen." Whoa, I just quoted Jar Jar from Episode I.

But seriously Lucas, when you are old enough to read this I hope you really don't see a resemblance between me and Jar Jar. If you still do, we need to talk.

Love,
Mesa your humble servant (aka Mom)

No comments: