Friday, October 14, 2005

Alpha Dog No More

Now that Maggie is an apartment dog, we need to take her on frequent little walks around the neighborhood to do her business.

The interesting walks occur when I have to take Maggie out with Lucas. I've always known that Maggie is an alpha dog, and am just starting to realize that Lucas is a burgeoning alpha toddler.

Our apartment is on the 2nd floor, so walking up and down stairs with Maggie and Lucas can be a tiresome task. Maggie, her silent but pushy self, trying to ooze her way up the stairs past me and Lucas. And the vocal Lucas, saying "No, me first. Don't come up yet. Me first. No Maggie, ME!" It's about a 5 minute ordeal to walk up 10 steps. Usually Lucas goes up first while Maggie and I follow, but he gets upset that Maggie is even on the stairs. So once inside the apartment, he tries to tackle Maggie, the sturdy fortress that she is, who just stands there looking at me like "What the heck is he trying to do?"

Nevertheless, Maggie, the good old gal that she is, lets him do what he wants. No matter how humiliating it is.



I think they will be good friends.

No comments: