Monday, March 12, 2007

My next volunteer project

I have a habit of volunteering for things and sometimes regretting it later. Kevin has said to me many times, "Next time you think about volunteering for something, let me know and I will talk you out of it."

Well, I volunteered for something again. No, it's not to watch someone else's kid for an afternoon, or to feed my friend's cat while she's out of town. This is a big one, but I won't regret it, though my feet probably will.

I just signed up to do the Breast Cancer 3-day walk for the Susan G. Komen foundation in San Diego in November this year. I have been looking for something like this to do before I hit the big 4-0, which will still not be for a few years. The AIDS ride is out of the question since I don't like the idea of riding so close to cars on the road. A triathlon is out since I don't like swimming, and I've already run one marathon, which was plenty for me.

So, I'm going to walk for three straight days and cover 60 miles. We get to stop and eat and even sleep in little tents or something. And yes, because I'm not accustomed to walking 20 miles in a day, I will need to train for this. I don't know much yet, like I said, I just signed up.

I'm on a team, appropriately named, the Boob Brigade. It's a small team, so far just me, Amy from my book group, her friend, and my friend Jennifer, who said she will sign up. If you're interested, sign up with our team.

Here is the link to my personal web page. It's a place for people like you to donate money to help fight breast cancer. I have to raise $2200, but my stretch goal is $5,000. That's okay if you don't feel like donating now, I'll hit you up for it later, to be sure.

Still haven't clicked on the link to donate? Here are some things to think about:
- According to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, approximately 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year
- Nearly 40,000 women will die from the disease.
- 85% of the net proceeds from the Breast Cancer 3-Day benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting to end breast cancer.
- The causes of breast cancer are not fully understood, but the older a woman is, the more likely she is to get breast cancer.
- Men can get breast cancer too, though this is much more rare. However in 2006, it's estimated that men accounted for 1,720 cases in the US.

I know raising the money is the hardest part. But I'm going to think of some fun things to do to help me reach my goals. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks! Don't be surprised if you hear from me soon. Maybe I'll ask you to go for a walk to help me in my training. Maybe I'll ask you for a donation.

No comments: