and yesterday was one of those days. From the moment he woke up, Lucas seemed intent on pissing off me and Kevin. I'm sure he wasn't, he probably just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Here are some highlights:
- He was being BRATTY! Even when we were playing cars, he was saying things like, "No, your car can't come up on the couch because only I have the special powers," or, "I don't have to say ready set go, because only I can win the race." I pretended my car was making cupcakes and gave him one, he said it didn't taste good. When I pretended my car was going to eat them, he threw a fit saying he wanted more of the pretend cupcakes. So I told him I wasn't going to play with him if he acted like that, which of course, didn't go over very well with him.
- His whininess hit a new high. It was maddening, like constant nails down a chalkboard, all day long.
- He kept changing his mind ("I want cheese toast now," then 2 minutes later as I started to make it, "Wait, I changed my mind, I don't want any till after we read a book"; or, "I want to ride my bike", "I don't want to ride my bike." You get the picture. This went on and on and on...and on.
- He didn't want to go outside. For me, just going outside makes me feel better. Kevin finally forced him out of the house to go rock climbing at Indian Rock. Evidently, they had such a good time, he didn't want to leave to come home. And actually, he was in a slightly better mood when he got home.
- He crapped in his clothes. He says it was an accident, but I'm sure he was rebelling against all the time-outs he was given throughout the day. He was crying and I went over and he had a bonafide poop in his underpants and another one on the way. Luckily, he hadn't sat down in it and we got to the toilet in time so I could just roll the one it into the toilet and then he sat down to finish it up.
The evening went a little better. We went out for a sushi dinner then hit the book store, both were without any incidents.
It's hard to understand the mind of a 3-year old boy. But like adults, sometimes you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed. A few times he said, "I feel grumpy today," which I guess is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, today will be a better day for us all.