Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Watch this movie!!!

Unlike most people, I can read the same book over and over, as long as it's a good book. I have probably read the Lord of the Rings trilogy about 15 times (ten times over summer between 3rd and 4th grade) and Of Human Bondage at least 5 times. Same goes for movies: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Godfathers 1 and 2, Heathers, Goodfellas, Deer Hunter - all of these I have seen somewhere in the double-digits. Every time I read one of these books or see one of these movies for the nth time, I always see something new that I never noticed before.

But there's one movie that stands above the rest. Last night I was so excited to get this movie at the video store that when the cashier said, "$3.00," I thought to myself, "What a bargain!" Then when he said I had 5 days to return it, I started to think of how many times I could possibly watch it before Sunday morning.
Have you seen "On the Waterfront"? If not, go rent it. It's so worth the money. I can't count how many times I've seen this movie. It has everything: an amazing story of betrayal, romance, redemption and inspiration; incredible actors, including Marlon Brando, my personal favorite; and comedy, yes, there are some points where I laughed out loud. I didn't realize till after watching it last night just how funny some of the lines are.


Some interesting facts about this movie:
  • AFI ranks this movie in the top 10 (sadly, just #8) in its list of greatest movies of all time, and 36th most inspiring movies of all time.
  • The above scene between Rod Steiger and Marlon Brando is the most studied scene of all time.
  • Despite winning a Best Actor Oscar for his role, Marlon Brando never thought he did a good job in this film.
Even though the above scene between Brando and Steiger is the most famous, I think that not enough credit has been paid to Brando for his scene at the end where he gives a short speech on the docks to the union boss, Johnny Friendly. Brando was an amazing actor! I have rewatched that scene again and again.

Watch it, you'll be glad you did. And if you don't like it, I want to know.

No comments: