Monday, January 30, 2006

"All by myself"

Lucas has been saying this a lot lately. He loves being able to do things by himself and will not hesitate to let you know about it. Here he is, "making a pumpkin patch", all by himself.

And just a few days ago, he started asking about me, and things I do myself. Like, "Mommy, you went pee all by yourself? Great job!"

Today we were talking about names.
Lucas: What's Grandma Kay's name?
Me: Kay Young Choi. I was also a Choi before Daddy and I got married.
Lucas: You married Daddy?
Me: Yep.
Lucas: All by yourself?
Me: Yes, all by myself.
Lucas: Before you were born in the circus?

I'm always so proud of Lucas when he tells me he did something all by himself. But it also makes me think of my wonderful friend Sunday, who had temporarily broken up with her boyfriend in college, weeping as she blasted this song in her room. Now they are married with FOUR kids. Maybe she wishes she could sing this song again, for a totally different reason.

No comments: