Monday, May 08, 2006

More on the bribery system

If you are wondering how are bribery system is coming along, Lucas earned his first surprise Sunday morning. I thought the anticipation of the surprise would outweigh the surprise itself. Kevin and I gathered around Lucas as he closed his eyes and pulled out...a toy lizard.

At first Lucas was just looking at it. I couldn't tell if he was disappointed or not. I think he just had no idea what to expect and was really very surprised. He spent the rest of the day carrying around "Lizard", as Lucas so aptly named it.

I was originally skeptical over this whole reward system. But, it has really helped us all focus on more of the positive things that Lucas does. I was concerned that Lucas wouldn't do anything unless he knew he would get a smiley face, but that hasn't been the case at all.

Tonight I was unloading the dishwasher and he asked if he could help. He handed me the clean bowls and dishes. Then when I went to tend to the laundry, again, he asked if he could help. After he helped, I told him he would get two stars, one for the dishes and one for laundry. He was quite pleased with himself.

No comments: