Monday, January 15, 2007

Competition heats up

I have some breaking news in the world of hot chocolate. Semifreddis is still #1 in my book, but now there's a #2.

On Saturday night Jennifer and I went to see an evening showing of "Pursuit of Happyness". Afterwards we wanted a hot chocolate. Semifreddis closes at 4 or 5, and most of the places on Solano Avenue close at 9 or 10, but who really wants to go to Starbucks anyway.

I suggested the Pub on Solano, which is open till 1am. I went there before once after a movie and recalled having a pretty good hot chocolate.

I knew I was in the right place when after we ordered the guy asked, "How chocolate-y do you want your hot chocolate?" I replied, "Very chocolate-y. Thanks for asking." That was the most coaching I gave to the guy and the hot chocolate was quite good.

Jennifer and I sat there for close to two hours chatting away. It's a nice comfy place, it's like you're in someone's house. They even have board games that you can play there.

The Pub's hot chocolate is definitely a close second just behind Semifreddis. Its generous scoops of good old fashioned Ghiradelli chocolate, cozy atmosphere, close proximity to home, and late hours make it a new destination for me. A great place for a late-night fix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that place is fun too! I like a place willing to sell me a half-pint of Guinness or willing to sell me a whole one in half-pint increments. Since I'm not supposed to imbibe, the cocoa is a very good option!

RookieMom Whitney said...

I have fond associations with that place because it was our first Mom's Night Out. We thought we were pretty amazing to be a crowd of women with 8 month olds at home, as if no one else had ever had a baby. Ever.