Being able to come to Lucas' birthday party is akin to getting on the "A" list for some nightclub. It's totally subjective and based on his mood or latest whim.
Here are the rules for getting on the "A" list.
1. Do something nice for him. Like read him an extra Japanese folk tale after dinner or give him a bite of whatever it is you're eating.
2. Choose something that is the same as his, like the same fork or wear dark blue when he's wearing dark blue. When he notices he will announce that "you must come to my birthday party".
3. Be 5 years old, or at least 3 and seven-quarters.
4. Be subjected to random scrutiny, which usually plays out like this:
- Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
- Catch a tiger by the toe
- If he hollers let him go,
- Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.
5. Be the right gender. Sometimes Lucas is not the best with gender equality. He has been known to say, "You can come to my birthday party even though you're a girl."
When he notices any of the above Lucas will announce, "You must come to my birthday party." Lucas will give you a preview of the party menu: chocolate vanilla cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies and cake!