Sunday, June 10, 2007

Parking lot incident

A couple days ago, I was pulling out of my spot at the bank parking lot when all of a sudden, I heard a thump on my car. I stopped and looked around to see this man yelling at me, "Slow down, slow down!" I think the thump was his hand hitting the car. Then about 10 feet behind him, I saw three small children running through the parking lot. The mom, who trailed behind the kids by about 20 feet was yelling at me in Spanish.

I pulled back into my spot and got out of the car and watched them. The kids were little. One was a toddler, with the Frankenstein-like jerky walk of a beginning walker, probably a 3 year old and a 5 year old, and they were toddling/running amok chasing a ball in the parking lot.


I said, in as nice of a voice as I could muster, "This is a parking lot, not a park. It's not safe to have your kids run around like that." The mom just kept screaming at me, what I'm sure were obscenities in Spanish.


I watched them all pile into their car, which was just a couple away from mine. The toddler was in front on the mom's lap and the other two were in the back, no one had car seats. Then they drove away.


I know car seats are expensive. But if you decide to have a car, the least you can do is get car seats for your little ones. And maybe try to control your kids, or at least hold their hands in the parking lot.

No comments: