Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Waking up in suburbia

It's not like we don't know we live in the suburbs. Albany is this very family-friendly little city, that's why we bought a house here. We have a young son, a house, a dog, and yes, even a Volvo station wagon. But today, I felt like I had truly woken up smack-dab in the middle of suburbia.

Today we headed to Memorial Park with Kevin's parents and Lucas for the 4th of July celebration. From bouncy houses, pony rides, and a reptile show, the park was bursting with young families with kids, just like us.

We missed the pancake breakfast, watermelon eating contest, and "dog jog", but it still felt like we had entered a new dimension in our lives. We saw other families we knew. Families who also probably felt the same way we did, like, "How did we get here?"

It's not like I was just an observer - I was an active participant in our suburban lives. I was out there taking lots of pictures. And I was truly disappointed when the lady at the pony ride said "No more kids, the ponies are taking a break." I even chatted it up with a few parents I knew, talking about schools, etc.

Maybe it's not so much that we are in the suburbs, but I guess I just feel all grown-up.

No comments: